Monday, May 26, 2014

Dental Bitewing X-ray a Royal Oral Pain

Going to the dentist is very important.  It has been proven that regular dental checkups are directly tied to your overall health.  A dental exam is among the top visits that instigate a recoil affect on the patient or prospective patient.  It is seen as a horror even among many regular patients.  This is one of the main reasons teeth and overall oral condition deteriorates exponentially within the populous.  This post is short so it is not a "how to" or even an educational tool.  I have a pet peeve about dental visits.

Several years ago I went to see a dentist.  It was the first in many years.  I was told I had periodontal disease and I took it very hard.  I imagined my jaw falling off within a year followed up with maggots making a home in my face.  It was not what I wanted to hear.  However, I was told that regular visits can halt and even improve the condition.  From that point on I've been religiously tending to my dental checkups every six months.  It's probably going on a decade now.

Everybody knows that it isn't "normal" to have foreign objects of metal, let alone someone else's hands, inside your mouth.  For many the thought is equal to sticking a live electric wire inside your mouth while the dentist and the aides dance around you like ravenous wolves.  Do we gleefully walk into a den of wolves and expect good news?  I say nay.  Like a snake we flinch and retreat into our comfort zone.  In other words we curl up in fetal position and suck our thumbs.

Don't you love watching the approach toward the infestation of bacteria and plaque that's nestled in the oral abyss?  Do you cringe in you mind as you know they are reaching for that one spot that gives you trouble?  You know in your mind that eventually their sorcery with the metal hook will snag that sweet spot of nerve and send you into an eternal orbit.  Yet, when all is said and done, and after a few therapy sessions with a psychologist, you feel better that you've gone.
Nasty! Note, this is not my teeth. I wasn't that far gone.
These things still affect me as well, but for some unseen reason there is one aspect of the dental visit that irks me the most.  Once a year I am reminded that I am due for x-rays and if I'd like to have them done.  Being a loyal student of future happiness I always oblige.  What annoys me to a mildly painful degree is biting down on the x-ray bitewing.  Not only do you feel like a cyborg whose body has been violated, but you have something in your mouth that is totally non-oral friendly.

I just got back from a dental visit and wanted to share my plight with the world.  May your shaky dentist inflict your roots with rusty jagged tools.  May you do so with the open knowledge that you willingly subjected your self to it.

That last part was just for humor.  Actually, I encourage you to achieve the effort to visit the dentist office regularly.  You will feel better.  There may be a lot of work at first and it may require several visits in a short amount of time.  Have the vision though that it will be all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment