Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Military Service of Aaron Green


Veterans Day is a very special day of the year. It is has a grounded place in my heart as well. My military service is vague to most people who know me. This article will serve as a clarification or history of my own brief military service.

My friend, Chris, and I left our homes when we were seventeen. Both disturbed by the pressures of the world and youth in general. We got ourselves an apartment and barely survived our Senior year of High School there. I admired Chris because he was more grounded and much more sure of his future. He wanted to be a doctor and I all but gave up on any kind of a future for myself.

I remember approaching Sergeant Trumble in our High School commons area. She was a recruiter representing the United States Army. Knowing my own personal plight it didn't take me long to put the pen to the paper. “Officially” the buddy program no longer existed but the option was there to get an automatic promotion to E2 status if we get another signed up. Chris wanted to be a doctor yet neither one of us had any money. Allured by the prospect of having paid education through military service Chris saw the wisdom in the decision and signed up as well.

Both of us officially entered the military under DEP on October 25, 1990. DEP stands for Delayed Enlistment Program. Both of us mid-termed our Senior year and shipped off to Basic Training at Fort Benning, Georgia on January 18, 1991.

At this time Iraq had already invaded Kuwait and tensions were high. While at boot camp we met occasion when our platoon was brought together. It was announced to us that we were now at war with Iraq. I remember watching the missiles light up the skies over Baghdad on CNN. I remember Drill Sergeant Davies telling us that we will be going over there. I was actually grateful for that news.

Anyhow, I never made it there. Not only did Desert Storm offer brief headlines but I also suffered a medical problem during training. Outside of what's commonly known as the “gas chamber” I fell down into an epileptic seizure. A condition unbeknownst to me I was completely bewildered when I briefly became conscious on the medivac helicopter. Drill Sergeant Raleigh said the epic words that would help define my future. “Son, you had a seizure.” All went fade to black after that until I awoke in the base hospital.

I was medically discharged March 5, 1991 from the United States Army. The entire incident left a big hole in my life and soul for many years. It took quite some time to realize the direction what Higher Power had in store for me. I left the base with $900 in my pocket and no firm direction. I could've gone anywhere and just disappeared. I'm grateful that the stronger power brought me back to the Midwest.

There are those who consider me a part of the brotherhood of military who have served. I do not and cannot since I didn't serve in the capacity I intended to serve originally. Back in 2007 or so I did inquire at the Shenandoah National Guard Armory about reenlisting. However, knowing what my discharge status was from 1991 I knew that I was ineligible for such an honor. Even today just as in Desert Storm I watch servicemen come and go to active tour and a part of my heart goes with them. Though not enough I hope it will serve as much for the time being.

To this day I remain a patriot loyal and true. Though unable to serve militarily I have helped in other capacities. In the past I have helped organize efforts to assemble and ship school kits for Iraqi children. Perhaps to serve here at home and abroad in other capacities is the direction I was intended to take. I believe that America and those who defend it have a divine protection and foundation that qualifies them for greatness if worthy. I believe this country and it's military have a high standard to uphold. To be an example of liberty and personal conviction is an inherent duty and responsibility of a service member. The fruits of freedom in the eyes of those who don't have it demonstrate the potential of man. This is the example that propels them to greatness. It's the heart of a volunteer! It's that same heart that triumphed the first responders at 9/11 and it's the same heart that sets men free of tyrant leaders around the globe.

We are America!

No comments:

Post a Comment