Sunday, May 26, 2013

Boy Scouts of America Lifts Ban on Gay or Same Gender Attracted Young Men

Just in the past few days the BSA Boy Scouts of America has voted to lift a long-standing policy rejecting the inclusion of openly gay boys into their troops.  This lift on policy does not extend to adult Scout leaders.  The biggest supporters of BSA are various churches such as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Catholic and Baptist.  The news of the vote in support of the lift came as no surprise given the social climate we are in.  However, after silent pondering over the support my own faith has given this initiative I have come to terms with the change.

I am a Latter-day Saint and the church has announced support for allowing same-gender attracted boys into their various troops.  Of course this is uncomfortable and change always is.  However, the difference is in how we act on our impulses.  We can debate the "morally straight" phrase from the Scout Oath all we want but the fact remains that with all the problems young people face these days many can still lead a morally straight life.  Don't get me wrong, up until recently I was vehemently opposed to the action.  Though I don't share the lifestyle, as long as those tendencies aren't being taught to my sons who am I to deny that individual the opportunity to learn such vital skills that the Boy Scouts of America has an impeccable history of teaching?

My views remain the same on the issue at large.  It is the design of God for a man and a woman to join in institution of marriage.  With the potential of procreation the family is central to the design of eternal progress.  Only under those two elements, man and woman, can the term "marriage" be authorized by God.  Now, having said that it is also true that we are all mortal humans prone to various conditions and environments.  I submit that it may be that an individual might be prone or more easily tempted in the direction of same-gender attraction.  In many cases it is definitely learned.  In many cases it is encouraged by family, peers and environment.  At the same time I cannot discount the possibility that there may be some genetic or other form of physical contributor to homosexual tendencies.  I just don't know.  Heck, I was born to be short so how does that change the field of opportunities for me in contrast to one who is homosexual?

Though I solidly remain with traditional values I also cannot let that blind me to the reality of compassion and understanding.  I believe it a disgrace that organizations are being pressured and outright forced to open their doors wide open to those who don't share their moral or religious values.  Part of the beauty of America is the right to assembly in however fashion we deem fit.  Though this has deepened harsh feelings on both sides it has also opened our eyes that we can treat one another with kindness, understanding and with respect.  We don't need to tear this country apart out of fear that we aren't included in a group, or that we fear a group's survival due to pressured legislation to include those we've originally deemed unqualified.

Yes, I do believe there is an active agenda to destroy good organizations through the means of pressured legislation.  Were it not so advocacy groups would gleefully opt to form their own organization.  Yet, there is a point when the people must say enough is enough.

I will support the BSA new policy to include these new young men as long as it is not an openly advertised orientation.  This way all young men can continue to learn and form friendships and bonds of camaraderie.  I will never support the inclusion of same-gender attracted Scout leaders.  I believe the risk is too great and crosses the boundaries of appropriateness.  The problems arise with heterosexual tendencies alone.  We don't want to compound the problem with a new issue.

I welcome all young men to the Boy Scouts of America who are willing to abide by a code of conduct and ethics and who are willing to control and keep at bay any and all sexual tendencies.  This is a big step for me but I admit that I'm human and is in need of change just as much as anyone else of my species.  Though we may differ on the design of God in relation to the human family that doesn't mean that I am above or more worthy than any other for opportunities.

In closing I view things in this manner.  If you feel you are right and are willing to put forth the faith even as a mustard seed, then isn't it your duty to trust that your good works and example will influence your neighbor? This may or may not include changing someone's orientation but aside from that it is your duty to influence the world around you for good.  You cannot do this by constantly separating yourself.

You can keep to your traditional moral standards and be kind, considerate and respectful to all whom you interact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment