Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Amish Mennonite Teacher on My Road to Damascus

The story of Saul and the Road to Damascus deals much with procrastination.  We hold off believing in something until a dramatic event forces the hand.  We tempt God and seemingly hold him hostage until we are struck on our eyes so as to see the truth of what we procrastinated for.  Saul started out a great persecutor of believers until he experienced a dramatic event on the road to Damascus to correct his ways.  Thomas failed to believe in the Resurrection of Christ until the Lord himself invited him to handle his hands and side.  These men and most of us today retract from learning precept upon precept unto a firmer belief in something.  To hide our weakness we declare us strong and shout down those that do believe a certain doctrine or fact of life.  Who is the weaker one?

Lately I've been in my solitude of thought in contemplation of man's nature against his brother.  I've been on the road much of late and have little other company than myself.  On a jovial note it makes arguments awful one-sided.  Anyhow, just last week I've been struck with a significant occurrence to me.  Significant to me but for most quite passive and not so significant.

There is so much death and hate going on.  On the political scene as well as religious man pits his wit against man (for we no longer refer to the other as brother).  Ideology has placed targets on people and marks them for death.  It is easy to allow the canker of hate drown out the peace of compassion and brotherhood.  It can darken one's own thoughts.  When that happens hate is resistance free, and the spread of contempt of heart and intolerance knows no bounds.

On a lonely road in the middle of Iowa I was shown an act of brotherhood without judgement or assumptions.  I love diversity and those opportune moments to come in contact with the Amish or Mennonites.  I think most of us do.  The simplicity of their ways and just the deep contrast from modern living is appealing.  However, I believe it goes deeper.  I believe that seeing a group of people holding on to a foundation of principles and beliefs appeals to our subconscious.  It is a silent reminder that man can lose his way without a foundation to build on.

On a particular hot and sunny afternoon I was traveling Eastbound near Creston, Iowa on Highway 34.  In the distance I noticed on the gravel side of the oncoming road a horse-drawn carriage with an Amish gentleman at the helm.  With plenty of distance he lifted his hand high and with a smile waved at me until I passed.  It was clearly sincere.  It was clearly in acknowledgement that I was his fellow brother under God regardless of my driving a car and blaring "Hotel California" on my radio.  I was greatly affected and this led me to deep contemplation.

Many of the rest of us do happily acknowledge one another.  For drivers, most of us do not wave to another unless the other starts the process first.  Yet..... do we outstretch our arm and wave in pure fellowship?  I am guilty as well and would venture to say that for most, acknowledgement of our kindness on the road is limited to the extending of our fingers over the steering wheel.  When studying the two situations it is amazing the difference how each makes you feel.  Whether as the giver or receiver the greater the effort of kindness the more positive reinforcement of goodwill you'll feel.

My Road to Damascus was in hoping to see greater consideration and love brother-to-brother sister-to-sister.  It is long and continuous.  It is a life journey.  This teaching moment offered that "smack in the head" that it does still exist out there, and that it's the subtle acts of kindness that has that silent but greater affect on the future of man.

He may not be aware of the impact his simple efforts afforded me but that's the point of it all.  True greatness is something not actively sought after.  It is something to be exercised through thousands of simple means.  True greatness is seen by others through your conduct and not something to boast of the self.  I thank God for that Amish dude and will look for him every time I'm on that stretch of road...... my Road to Damascus.

No comments:

Post a Comment