Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Passing of Shenandoah Leaders and the Torch of Service

Former City Attorney Bob Norris and City Councilman Don Gibson of Shenandoah have passed away, each from long-suffered illness.  Though a double whammy for the city of Shenandoah it is a time to reflect on what they've left behind.  It would be inappropriate for me to speak of surviving family members.  Yet, our hearts and prayers are with them all.  As a city official and one well acquainted with both, I offer my thoughts and reflections at this time.

I've only known these two men since my commencement on the Shenandoah City Council.  I cannot comment on growing up with these two, but I can comment on how they've helped me grow up.

Bob Norris was a fascinating man.  His knowledge of law baffled me many times in our meetings.  Not only was he greatly knowledgeable, but he executed the law with compassion, empathy and objectivity.  I have a deeper appreciation though.  Twice I have been blessed to be in his company on trips to Tisovec, Slovakia.  As part of our Sister City project we strived to know and understand our partners across the waters.  Bob had a genuine love for the people.  He bonded with them especially with he and his wife's host family.  I was impressed on more than one occasion to witness the tears in his eyes as he felt the sorrows of their history and the uncertainty of their future.

Remembering those who have passed on is a verb and not something passive.  The verb is in actively instilling those characteristics that impressed you into your very being.  To you that keeps them alive and active in your soul.  From Bob I will endeavor to remember his humility, honesty and integrity.  I will reach out even more to succor the downtrodden and the weak.  Truly, I will miss Bob Norris.

I served on the Shenandoah City Council with Councilman Don Gibson.  In addition to that I served on the Water Committee with him.  He had a unique view of the world and the bureaucracy behind it.  I was always impressed that all of his votes and opinions revolved around the good of the people.  Even in the face of opposition he held his ground on many occasions.  With all the contention revolving around our progressing new water plant project Don held his ground multiple times.  From Don Gibson I'll remember and pursue courage to stand for what I feel is right.

Experiencing death can be heart-wrenching.  It pulls at the emotional strings for the family and friends left behind.  Yet, in those troubled hours it is important to exercise faith in a bright hope.  It is important to believe with a degree of happiness that they are now in the joyous company of family and friends who preceded them in death.  Our loss in life can only be their gain on the others side.

Now, without the pain of sickness they live with clarity of thought and renewed love and hope for mankind left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment