Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What is the Perfect Birthday Gift for Her?

The perfect birthday gifts are as follows: a new car, $400 gift card to Macy's, dinner at a fine dining restaurant, vacation at Acapulco, a new dress or perhaps just a relaxing evening in front of the television.  Now, for a brother thinking of what to do for a sister's birthday it gets a little complicated.

I don't like cards though I'll gladly receive them.  When I search for a card I inevitably wind up on skid row with the rest of the men at the store.  Guys, you know what I mean.  It's notorious on Christmas Eve to silently befriend a whole host of other strange men at the store - a store void of any women whatsoever.  Come on guys, Walmart, need I say more?  It is literally agony for us.  We'd rather be bound and quartered by horses before the torture of deciding on a gift let alone a card.  But we are men, barely homosapien, in search of food, bear skins for clothing and a pat on the back with a wooden club.  We go, we conquer and we feel like crap later for what we got for someone else's birthday or Christmas.

No, this is actually a monumental birthday for my sister.  Details on which birthday matters not.  Needless to say it is an opportunity for everyone to reflect and ponder the relationships we have.  In so doing I've opted to blog my thoughts of my sister.  It is my hope that through this exercise I'll have a clearer understanding of the family relationships that we are all called to strengthen.

My sister and I are rather far apart in age.  Spanning about nine years she became the firstborn and after my brother I pulled the short straw and became the baby of the family nine years later.  My memories are few in my early years.  By the time I was ten she was already in college.  So, for the purpose of this post to be served  I'll bypass the early years and concentrate on what I've observed in the years since.  The true masterpiece of man comes in how they rear their family and nurture relationships therein.

My sister is a woman of faith.  Having grown up in a home associated with the Latter-day Saint faith she has perpetuated that foundation into her own home with her husband.  All her children have grown and are growing with impeccable quality of character and stamina.  They have a firm foundation of faith that helps them stand in the face of life's storms.  History often attributes these vital qualities to the teachings and example of the mother.  Two thumbs up for mom!  Go, sis!

My sister has a keen sense of judgement.  In college she married a man well-fashioned for her that she knew would stand as a model patriarch in her home.  Not only does he achieve this but he has even served multiple tours of service during the Iraq war.  A model in the home - a model to the nation.  Upon his retirement in a short few years you'll both look back through the sorrows and joys and be content one with another with an eye single to the glory of God.  Yep, a great judge of character!

My sister is sensitive.  She always has been.  Though many would consider this a weakness I think of it as a pillar of strength.  The person themselves often don't always see the scope of their example.  When it's us we feel the weight of our own sensitivity.  In the case of my sister and those with this quality, that sensitivity invokes the spirit of compassion and self reflection in those around them.  Though it takes years, this genesis has a cascading affect that benefits generations down the road to countless people.  Don't change a thing sis.  God has imparted this virtue to you to bless nations.

Though over the years our conversations have been few and far between we do share a silent kinship.  We would come to the aid of the other if it be in our power to do so.  I love her dearly and seek to draw upon her strengths in my time of need.  At the beginning I said that relationships are to be strengthened during the journey of man.  I also said that it was my hope to gain a clearer understanding of these things.

Through this posting process I resolve to a personal inspiration.  At this juncture of her birthday and my milestone of having a rather robust belly I wish to strengthen communication between my sister and I.  I reflect and am brought to the knowledge through this exercise what a precious resource we've been given in family.  The kinship of siblings twenty years apart can be just as strong as those one year apart.

My personal goal is to stand before my Maker at that day and to have a confident joyous response when He asks, "What have ye done with what I have given?"

Happy birthday, sis, and may chocolate bloom before your footsteps.  May the angels present great waterfalls of well-churned frothy chocolate that rival that of even Willy Wonka.  Enjoy your birthday and expect to be pampered!

No comments:

Post a Comment