Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shenandoah Water Plant City Council Decision

This evening was grueling to me at City Council.  The Shenandoah water plant will continue and go on but the City Council made an unexpected vote this evening that made enemies for certain Council members and friends for others - immediately.  It is a shame that things have gotten this confused for such an important project.

At the last City Council meeting on the 26th an impromptu resolution was brought forth and voted on to accept the final design plans.  After an unproductive discussion all but one voted in favor to accept.  Two of those reluctantly.  However, in the heat of the moment we all failed to realize that proceeding with a resolution without at least 24 hours notice to the public is illegal in Iowa.  Therefore, to make it right this evening we rescinded that vote made on June 26th and brought up the resolution again that has been public for the required time.  This time the vote was 3 - 2 against the proposed final design plans of the new Shenandoah water plant.

My vote stems from the taxpayers.  I've received numerous complaints from the taxpayers about the decision we made on the 26th.  The argument is simple and still cannot be refuted.  Why pay for excess when it's unnecessary.  The specifics in question are a meeting room and also the main office.  It is charged that they are too large and not necessary for a workplace environment.  The meeting room's use would not be fully magnified but a few times a year.  With automation office space should be at a minimum and technically automation should be able to eliminate one personnel, at least, from the department.  The argument is that having those areas as planned do not outweigh the burden on the taxpayers to maintain them every year.  From the other side, it is said that those areas are necessary and also that it will cost a whole lot more to modify the plans at this stage.  Again, as in other posts, I dispute these absurd charges but that's neither here nor there at this point.

I am deeply sorry to the residents of Shenandoah for caving in so quickly at the last vote and hope that my vote this evening reclaimed some of that trust that they initially placed in me when they considered my name for this office.  I always remain open to information and change clear up to the moment of vote.  It was that way here especially since I've received so many complaints and concerns.

A recurring memory from my Tisovec, Slovakia trip kept coming to mind when pondering this situation.  I am not accustomed to giving myself any praise - ever.  However, I do believe all in all I did a decent job of representing the city of Shenandoah to the people of Tisovec and Slovakia at large.  I am pleased with my manners and actions there.  I did my best to represent myself, my God, my family, my country and my city.  Though extremely out of my normal character I endeavored extensively to reach beyond any barriers of language, customs and foreign stigma.

There was one thing I was not very proud of.  The Slovak people are very adept to toasts.  They are sincere and hold meaning.  They do so with wine which I have not touched in well over twenty years.  After the meeting with the Tisovec Parliament we had a formal toast.  I felt a huge burden in my post.  Feeling the anguish of not only a city but also a country watching me I did pick up the glass of wine.  The feelings within were stirred beyond belief.  I didn't want to stand the chance of offending these good people.  It wasn't for another couple days that I realized that they are quite accommodating to the needs of those who wish no alcohol content.  From then on mineral water was available at the toasts.  The water was available at the Parliament meeting but again out of respect and fear I picked up the wine.  At that moment I chose to compromise myself.

What volumes more could I have taught these people about me and about perseverance and upholding my principles in a foreign land had I only not picked up the wine?  Though no lasting damage exists there still is a residue of shame within my bosom.  I bring this experience to the water plant debacle.  I must maintain my loyalty to the taxpayers who did and did not vote for me.  I must serve their best interest.  How can I live with myself if I begin to compromise my judgement?  How can I listen to the citizens of Shenandoah if there are other agendas or pressures whispering to me?
I believe the Founding Fathers of this great country had integrity of heart.  Many have died either by mandate or penniless or in rags because they felt and acted on that God-given integrity.  Because of them this nation is raised up and also prepared the world for greatness and also before-unimaginable prosperity in innovation and technology.   This nation was prepared to exalt mankind into a new kind of greatness.  I believe that leaders on all levels in this country need to heed the call of integrity and selfless service.  Only then can our judgments be justified and sanctified before God, ourselves and those whom we are called and voted to represent.

These words I speak only of my mind and not to degrade or praise the character and judgments of any other city official.

No comments:

Post a Comment