Saturday, April 21, 2012

Kony 2012 hits Small Town Shenandoah Iowa

In small town Shenandoah, Iowa we often don't expect a national craze to come here but it did just last night.  My son and I went to see a movie, Three Stooges, and when we got out we found windows and light poles throughout downtown plastered with Kony 2012 cheap posters of copy paper.


Now, I will not offer any opinions on Kony himself, but I will say that I vehemently oppose any individual or group who restrains the liberties of others.  I oppose anyone who rips families apart.  I oppose anyone who instigates military action against the weak or defenseless for personal and prideful reasons.  Now, having said that I, by no means, jump on any bandwagon to apprehend any particular individual.  In my position that would be irresponsible.  Also, we cannot judge soundly from one viral video.  There are still many things we don't know.  I write this in response to the flyers posted all over my town last night.

There are many ways to inform, motivate and convince the people to a certain view.  Using the Internet is among the most expanding and powerful means.  If you are a Kony activist or of some other organized group be creative in using the Internet.  Start a Facebook Page, get a website!  Hey, here's an oldy but goody: go door to door.  Heck, even a few church groups still proselyte by means of door-to-door.  Try it, you might like it!

Look, I admire one's freedom to bring awareness to a situation.  I even support the right to protest it.  However, I really don't appreciate defacing public property or littering our streets over it.  There are much cleaner and more efficient methods of activism than that.  Why go through all the effort and footwork of copying paper and covertly putting them on car windows and light poles?  Here's a thought:  if an action is the right thing to do then why are you compelled to do it in the dead of night when no one is watching?  Well, perhaps that action is not the right thing to do....

For my fellow residents of Shenandoah, Iowa I humbly support your privileges as American citizens.  Assemble how you may but do so with a little confidence and pride in your own community.  If you want Kony down then go for it but please keep your Shenandoah streets looking nice and presentable.  May your worthy efforts prove fruitful!

No comments:

Post a Comment